This policy applies to all Federal Programs within the Faulkton Area Schools District and any complaints that parents or patrons may have with the implementation of a Federal Program Complaint Policy Procedure.
Parents are sometimes concerned that staff members will retaliate against students whose parents bring concerns or complaints to the school. The school board, administration and staff members are conscious of this concern and will not permit retaliation under any circumstances.
1. Following an informal Level 1 or 2 meeting with the parent, student, teacher and principal if there is no satisfactory resolution to the concern then a Formal Level 1 meeting will be scheduled among the interested parties in the dispute.
a. The meeting will be held within five (5) business days.
b. A Formal Level 1 complaint form shall be obtained from the principal’s office.c. The complaint form shall be filled out, signed, dated, and returned to the administration.
d. Each party in the Level 1 complaint shall receive a copy of the form.
e. A copy of this form will be held in the Principal’s office for a period of two years.
2. If there is no resolution at the Formal Level 1 the Superintendent shall meet with the interested parties and provide them with a copy of the Level 2 complaint and the interested parties will then offer a written statement regarding the events.
a. The meeting will be held within five (5) business days after the receipt of the Level 2 complaint form.
b. A decision will be made and communicated to the parties involved in writing within three (3) days after the meeting is held.
c. If the Superintendent feels that the complaint has grounds for further action, or if the complaint is to be made part of the employee’s permanent record, the employee must be informed of this action, in writing.
d. A copy of this form will be held in the Superintendent’s office for a period of two years.
3. Either side may request a meeting with the Board of Education if either feels the decision of the Superintendent was incorrect.
a. The hearing before the Board of Education will be scheduled with the mutual agreement of the parties involved for the next scheduled meeting of the Board of Education, or
b. A Special Board of Education meeting may be scheduled if the President and a majority of the Board of Education believe the situation warrants.
c. A decision will be made and communicated to the parties involved in writing within three (3) days after the meeting is held.
d. A copy of this decision will be held in the Superintendent’s office as a part of the teacher’s permanent record.
4. Decisions of the Board of Education are may be forwarded to the SD Department of Education. This may include an appeal of the decision made by the Board of Education.
5. The resolution of any issue related to any Federal Program is a district responsibility. Complaints should be directed to the district administrator.